Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fast Facts

So in our new Common Core Standards, it says that Kinders should be able to add and subtract fluently within 5.  So, I've gone back to the tried and true method of fast facts.  Fast facts, when I was growing up, were a sheet of math facts and you had 2 minutes to complete as many facts as you could.

I've always had to teach addition and subtraction, but never had to have them master FACTS- just the idea.  So, I've searched the internet for fast fact sheets for Kinder.  I've come up empty handed, so I thought- I'll make my own!

The standard says to add and subtract within 5 (the answer is 5 or less) or 10 in the 3rd and 4th quarter.  I can find Fast Facts that are +1s, +2s, +3s, but never within 5 or 10.  Am I making any sense?  I feel like it's a lot of "Who's On First, What's on Second..."

ANYWAY :)  Here's what I made.

For Fast Facts +0 (within 5) click HERE.
 For Fast Facts +1 (within 5) Click HERE
They are meant to be copied and then cut in 2, so the child gets a 1/2 sheet of paper.

Once my kids complete a Fast Fact, they get a sticker on the "Master Mathematician" chart.  They are super excited about it.

They first have to master addition and subtraction within 5... and then a jumble of addition and subtraction facts... once all that is mastered, then I get out the addition and subtraction within 10 fast facts. 

I have the whole set, if you are interested, leave me your e-mail address and I'll send them your way.  It was too much to put on the blog :)

I wanted to put cute little graphics on my fast facts, but I'm so intimidated by all the copyright laws... anyone want to clue me in on which graphics are easiest to share without the CP {Copyright Police} coming after you???  Which graphics do you use?  I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Lettering Delights, but they are copyright protected- no sharing!  :)

Don't forget to leave me some comments!  (and I wouldn't be mad at you if you followed me!)

Bloggy Meet Up in Cincinnati on Feb 4!  Babbling Abby and Michelle from Fabulous in First are hosting.

16 comments:

  1. Awwww, thanks for your sweet comment. Okay, I have a question for you {I should probably know the answer}. Michigan is adopting the Common Core and my district is in the process of tweaking things. Okay, so here comes the dumb question that I think I probably know the answer to. Since is COMMON core...is what you do going to be exactly the same for what my kindergarten teachers do? Cuz WOW, I can't imagine my incoming firsties being FLUENT to 10...I don't know how exactly I feel about that{talk about pressure} but it sure would make MY life easier. Then again, I'm going to have to move even BIGGER mountains when the come to me...right?!? OY.

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly- I'm so sorry to mislead you! I mistyped- Kinders only need to be FLUENT up to 5... but they need practice adding up to 10. Actual standard is to find 2 numbers that add up to 10, or what number plus 3 equals 10. Sorry about the mis-info- I should proofread a little closer before I publish my blog! BUT, with that said, Common Core has really high standards! We started Base 10 in the first quarter!! I'd love to hear how your district is adjusting when it starts.

    -Staci

    ReplyDelete
  3. I responded on my blog - but I'm not sure you'll see it, so I'm responding here too. I think I heard somewhere that the threaded comments don't work on every blog template. I followed the directions found here from Kristen over at Ladybug's Teacher Files...here's the link to the tutorial...

    http://ladybugsteacherfiles.blogspot.com/2012/01/video-tutorial-threaded-comments.html

    Hope that helps! :)

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm your newest follower!! I love how we all have the same standards now so we are all on the same page!! Would you mind sending me you fast facts? I think they are awesome! You are so kind to share...am glad I found your blog!
    Riley
    www.kindergators.blogspot.com
    ggrant@greenville.k12.sc.us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Great fast facts sheets! Do you mind forward me all the sheets in your packet? Thanks!!!
    Andrea
    agrabowski@wcpss.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! These are great! It would be wonderfully helpful to have the set. Thank you so much for sharing!
    - Kate
    klukasavage@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly,

    This is exactly what I had in mind when I have read through the K standards. I would love the rest of the Fast Facts practice sheets if you are still willing to share!

    Thanks so much,
    T. Fulks
    Tfulks@marsingschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly,

    This is also what came to mind for me while I was trying to decide how to practice as well as assess this standard. If you are still willing, I would love the rest of your Fast Facts packet!

    Thanks ~ T. Fulks
    tfulks24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to have the rest of your Fast Facts packet!
    Thank you

    bevloubrown@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! May I please get a copy of your complete set?

    sharinewman@me.com

    Thank you so much,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fact sheets are a great idea. I live in Puerto Rico, although the Dep of Educ has not decided about the CCSS; books used in the private school system are already alligned to the common core so we have to used them no matter what. If you can, please send me the other fact sheets for kinder that you made at jmaldonado38@hotmail.com

    Thanks,Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fact sheets are a great idea!!! I never thought about it this way.
    I would love to have the other files if you can send them to my email jackymaldo38@gmail.com

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fact sheets are a great idea. I live in Puerto Rico, although the Dep of Educ has not decided about the CCSS; books used in the private school system are already alligned to the common core so we have to used them no matter what. If you can, please send me the other fact sheets for kinder that you made at jmaldonado38@hotmail.com

    Thanks,Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  14. We would love the other fact practice sheets if you are willing! Thanks, Anna
    athurman2004@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. We would love to have the other fact practice sheets in your packet! These are a great resource for common core.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOps, I forgot to include my email for the packet! Thanks AGAIN!
    Anna
    athurman2004@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?