Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Literacy Centers

So, I promised a blog on Literacy Centers to wrap-up my "I love centers" ramblings for the past week... and... well, I've already done that...

Click HERE to read my past post on Literacy Centers.

Sorry, for the confusion.  I'm not sure why I forgot about that post! :)

Anyway, so this post, is now all about Brain Benders.  Brain Benders are what I am currently working on... it's a morning paper the kids can work on while the rest of the class is getting settled.  My school opens at 7:30, but class doesn't start until 8:00, so I need to fill that time for those early-arriving students.  I used to use connect the dot pages, coloring pages, color by number pages, and other essentially useless busy work.  I know, I know... I can justify coloring- it helps with fine motor skills... and connect the dots- it helps with number sense... and color my number-it helps with number recognition...

but I wanted MORE!  With the pressure that comes with the new common core standards, I needed to milk every last minute I have with these kiddos to get it all in... plus it serves as a small assessment tool- because I never give them something I haven't taught... they should (in theory) be able to do these small tasks.  right?  right :)

When I finish putting them together, I'll share... so, don't forget to follow me, and you'll not miss out on my Brain Benders freebie!  (should I make it a contest... like... when I reach XXX amount of followers I will unleash the freebie?!?!)  or should I do a giveaway for all the people that comment?  I'm not sure how that works- I've won a couple (Thanks KindergartenWorks and Thanks Miss Squirrel for my wins!) but I don't know how to HOST the giveaway.

leave me a comment, and tell me what you think! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?