Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sightwords, Highlighters, and a FREEBIE!

Sightwords.  They are essential for Kinders to know in order to be successful readers.  We do sightword rings that the Kindergarteners take home to practice nightly.  We have word walls.  We have little readers that emphasize sightwords.  We learn about text patterns that include sightwords.  Sightwords are everywhere!!!  *and they should be for the Kindergarteners to get enough exposure to them to be successful readers*

And when I saw Babbling Abby's Highlight-a-letter Pack, I knew I wanted to do this with sightwords.  I mean, who doesn't love highlighters?  Even more importantly, what Kindergartener doesn't love highlighters??  I e-mailed sweet Abby and asked for her permission to use her genius idea and incorporate sightwords.  She said yes! :)  **Thank you Abby!!**

So, here's what I've come up with- it's almost identical to Abby's letter packet- I mean, why mess with genius, just go with it.  She had it lookin' cute, so I simply changed letters to sightwords!

Here's what I'm giving you:

 Workmats:  The students use those little transparent BINGO chips/counters to mark the sightwords they find on the paper.
Like this:


 You also get the practice sheet where kids get to use highlighters to mark the words they see and then trace the word to get some handwriting practice in.
Like this:


We do 3 new sightwords a week, so I put 3 workmats in a station and then staple together the 3 practice sheets so each student gets a set of practice sheets.  (Side note, I was typing fast and that previous sentence said "Staple together the 3 practice sheets TO each student...  NO, I do not staple papers TO students.  Good thing I caught it before publishing this blog post or I would have had some explaining to do!)

Anyway, click HERE for your copy from Google Docs.  It's still a work in progress, not all of our sightwords are on here.  There are about 9 words on here now.  If you have a need for a specific word, I'd be happy to make you the words you still need - just e-mail me.  I'll also be updating often to add more words, so don't forget to check back often.

I took my boys 3 year and 5 year pictures this past weekend.  You don't mind if I share, do you?

Here's Wade- so grown up.  :)  I can't even believe he's 5 already. 

 And my stinker Henry.  Can't you just see the mischief in his eyes?  My baby is 3!!!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the freebie! Can't wait to use it!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Staci,
    Adorable boys! They grow up so fast, don't they? Anyway, I was just stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?